Monday, June 22, 2009

Story Time

So I always wonder what to post about. I seriously think about it all the time, but I can never seem to come up with anything that great. I'm also always thinking about how I should write down some of my funny stories, but never seem to get around to doing it. Well, over the weekend I had those two thoughts at the same time and bam! A great idea was born. So lucky you, it's story time.

I'm going to start with my Sunbeam stories, they are really the best!

Today's story will be titled, Find Faith...in Candy
Note: this is probably one of my favorite sunbeam stories.

For about 2 years I taught the Sunbeams at my parent's ward -maybe it was 3, now I can't remember! For those of you who may not know, Sunbeams are ages 3-4 and they are the funniest kids ever! They are also like little sponges and they learn so much you don't even realize. It's important to remember that starting at 18 months I think, prior to being a Sunbeam the kids spend 2 hours at church in Nursery where they get to play with toys, have snacks, and a very short lesson. On January 1st if you are 3 years old, you get to move into Sunbeams where you now get to sit quietly in a chair for 2 hours. --Yeah right. It's a pretty hard switch for kids because most of them have never been in a structured class before so they've never been taught the rules of classroom life. Not to mention they are 3 years old! I don't expect them to be perfect, and they really do try.

I usually tried to have a treat for them during class, for one because they are so cute I just can't help myself. And two, it keeps them quiet and occupied for at least a few minutes. :)

One week around Christmas time back in 2007 I think, we had a lesson in Sharing Time about faith. We learned what faith was and how we use it in our lives. We got back to our own class and I started the lesson, which probably continued the theme, but I can't remember.

On this particular week I had forgotten to go to the store and get something I knew they would like. Luckily my roommate liked those mint M&M's so I took some of those not knowing the response I would get from my little rays of sunshine.

This week I was lucky and only had 3 little boys in my class (man I can't believe how different boys really are from girls!) Evan, Matthew, and Luke.

Once class got going I gave each boy a few pieces and told them that they were mint M&M's.

Evan was first. He put a few pieces in his mouth, chewed, and said "I don't like this!" But he finished what was in his mouth.

Next was Matthew. Put candy in mouth. Chew. Swallow. "I like these! I like mint M&M's!"

Finally Luke. He put them in his mouth, chewed for a second and immediately wanted to spit them out. So I got him the garbage can and that's what he did.

I apologized to them and let them know I'd get them something better next week. As class went on they each answered some questions and I wanted to reward them with their treats, but felt bad that only one kid liked them and could very well give candy to just one child. When they each answered a question I asked them if they wanted some candy anyway. Of course they all did. So I went through the same routine.

Evan: "I don't like these!"
Matthew: "These are good!"
Luke: Spit immediately into garbage can.

Matthew continued to express his like for mint M&M's, and I think Evan picked up on my pleased response, because he put the rest of his candy in his mouth, looked at me and said,

"I have faith to like mint M&M's!" Imagine this is a cute little 3 year old voice, it makes the story so much better. :)

What did I tell you about them being sponges?

Little Evan continued to munch on M&M's for the rest of the class.
Luke Finally learned his lesson and declined any more offers of candy.

Tune in tomorrow for an exciting "Ghost" story featuring my favorite cast!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show me some love!