Monday, June 11, 2012

Cub Country

So this past week was Scout camp.  It wasn't overnight or anything, just Friday and Saturday from about 8a.m.-3p.m.  Remy and I went up just on Saturday...I'm surprisingly wishing I had gone on Friday too.  Those kids are so funny I can't even stand it!

The camp was up Millcreek Canyon, called Cub Country.  They have a whole bunch of sites with different themes.  Friday was Jurassic-something or other.  Saturday was Superhero Academy.

So cute.

It was super cheesy and the boys loved it.  I just had to share a few of my favorite moments.




I'm not going to lie, I thought the boys were going to be too crazy and off the wall to handle, but they were SO well behaved.  Really.

So at one station we were talking about historical figures/folk stories/legends.  You know, Paul Bunyan, Pecos Bill, Johnny Appleseed, some lady whose name I can't remember who survived the Titanic.  Well to start off the scout who was leading our group was trying to get them to come up with the aforementioned names -or at least some sort of old famous person -examples given: Abraham Lincoln, Albert Einstein, etc.

Names the boys came up with:  None.

So the leader tried again. (and I apologize if you saw this on FB already, but it's just too funny I don't ever want to forget).

Scout Leader: Who is a famous American who has done something great?
Scout: Kanye West

OH EM GEE, I died laughing!  Seriously.  Well, maybe not serious about the died part.  Obviously I'm still here typing this.

But it was close to death.

Then someone mentioned Big Foot.  Aka: Sasquatch.

Then there was a discussion about the size of said creature's feet.

Scout #1: 5 feet
Scout #2: I'd say...this big (holds hands about 2 feet apart or so)
Scout #3: Yeah 5 feet!
Scout #4: They wouldn't be THAT big!
Scout #5: Well maybe they all have different sized feet?
Scout #4: No.  There's only ONE Big Foot.

SO FUNNY!

Also there was an obstacle course.

They had to climb over a wall, grab some Kryptonite (they had to save Superman), then do that thing where there's two rows of tires on the ground and you have to jump through them, you know, like army people?   Anyhow, then they had to weave around some hanging cylinders, balance on a log, jump through some ropes, and crab walk back to the beginning.
Remy was superman.


 Well the first few times through the kids ran through it as fast as they could, with just a few tumbles -mostly on the balance log, which I was standing right next to.  Well they just kept going and going and going...around and around and around!  By the 5th time through or so you could tell they were starting to get a little tired.  And pretty much every kid started falling on their face when they got to the tires.  We could not stop laughing.  And not in a mean way, the kids were laughing too.

Just had to put that out there.

One of our boys was going across the log and was almost to the end when somehow he slipped and landed stomach first on the side of the log.  It looked like it hurt, but he just popped right back up and kept going.

Another of our kids was getting really pooped.  One time he got to the crab walk and was basically going in slow motion because he couldn't go any further.  He was purposely being dramatic and it was cracking me up!

At another station the boys paired up to make paper rockets.  To start they took turns cutting out the pieces.  One of the kids accidentally cut in the wrong spot so they had to cut a new one.

Scout #1, upon seeing the wrong cut had been made, it the most calm, disappointed, serious voice I have ever heard:  You messed up.  You really, really messed up.

Now was that nice to say?  No, but the way he said it was so funny.  Of course I stepped in and said that it's not a problem, we all make mistakes and we can easily get another.  The kid who said it is the sweetest little guy which is one reason it was so funny to hear him say that.

Our little sharpshooters in action
One of our last stations was BB guns.  I had never shot one before and it was really fun!  The scout leading that station was SUPER energetic and silly, but the boys were eating it up.  I mentioned to Remy how surprised I was by how well they were listening, that they must really like the kid who is talking.  Remy thought it was because they were just really excited to shoot the guns.  But, I said, that's exactly why I'm surprised they're listening!

They had a really good time and I know I was thoroughly entertained by the day.  By the time it was over the boys were FILTHY -special thanks to the crab walk for that one.  But they didn't seem to care, or notice for that matter.

I'm actually looking forward to next year!



Then we got home and took a nap.

The End

1 comment:

  1. Oh my word, I love all the funny stories! I think now that I'm not teaching I would really enjoy being a cub scout leader.

    ReplyDelete

Show me some love!