Friday, January 11, 2013

Glucose, Schmlucose

So the day after Christmas I had my glucose test. 

Not nearly as bad as I thought it would be.  My biggest thing is that when it comes to beverages, I'm a sipper.  So 10 oz. in 5 minutes is hard for me.  -Take into consideration the sugar factor and whoa.  That's hard.  But I did it and it was fine. 

While I was waiting my hour before the blood draw I had my monthly appointment.  The doctor was asking me if my baby was being a good kicker.  And honestly, no, not really.  I mean, yeah, he'd have days where I'd feel him throughout the day.  But then he'd go a good week and I'd barely feel anything at all.  She asked if he was kicking 10 times in 2 hours...um, no.  I hadn't been officially counting, but like I said I could go a whole day or more and barely feel a kick in the morning and maybe a little nudge in the evening.  But definitely not 10 times, even in 2 hours. -At least not on his lazy days.  Other days, yeah for sure.

So she had me go over to Maternal Fetal Medicine to do a non stress test just to check.  But first I had to go get my blood drawn so she told me to go check in at MFM and then do the blood draw.  And wouldn't you know it, as I'm walking from MFM to the lab (which is just down the hall from each other), the little twerp starts kicking.  And would NOT stop. 

He must have known he was in trouble. 

So we get in there after the blood draw and the nurse is asking me all sorts of questions and hooks up the monitors and immediately you can  hear him moving.  ....and he continued moving for the whole 20 minutes.  Seriously!  I mean, I was super glad.  I didn't want anything to be wrong, but really kid?  You're embarrassing me.  :)  I'm pretty sure the nurse thought I was a crazy person.  But I'm telling you!  Even that day I had barely felt a thing!

Oh well, good news: baby is great.

Bad news:  I had to go back for the 3 hour glucose test.

I was a little confused though because the nurse called and said it looked good, but they wanted me to do the other test...whatever it's fine.

So last week I charged up my Kindle Fire and headed on over.  I was a lot better at drinking the drink, since I'd had practice before.  But they wouldn't even let me walk around since activity can impact the results.  However, they were super nice and kept me loaded on ice to trick my brain so I wouldn't starve.  And it actually worked.

Yeah by the end I was definitely hungry, but it was not unbearable like I expected it to be.  So I went to Costa Vida and I still felt fine, just normal hungry.  But as I started eating I started getting this weird combo of light headed and dizzy, but without actually having a light head or the spinning...I know it sounds weird, but just go with me here. And I started feeling that overwhelming hunger where I can't stuff my face fast enough.  It was really strange.  For a minute there I starting worrying about what would happen if I just passed out since I was there by myself.  So I texted Remy to tell him I was feeling weird so that at least he would know in case someone had to call him.  (I know I'm weird). 

I made it through lunch and once my food had time to digest a little I was fine.  Though I couldn't believe that I ate a WHOLE burrito and even stopped for a frosty before I got back to the office and I didn't even feel stuffed.  Lately I can't eat that much of ANYTHING in one sitting.  So I must have been hungry.

Luckily the results from the test came back fine and I don't have gestational diabetes!

Oh and the little guy is definitely getting bigger.  He finds more to kick now a days than just my belly.  And some of it is uncomfortable!
It's getting harder to sleep comfortably.  Most nights are okay, but it doesn't take much to be uncomfortable.  Rolling over is harder too, that's for sure.
Sitting on the floor is a no-no.  Within a minute or two my back gets a million knots that are really painful.
I've been having braxton-hicks contractions.  It seems like when I'm more active I feel them more...so I don't if that's really what they are, but I think so...

And again, I'm trying to post my pic, but it just isn't working.   I'll keep at it!

4 comments:

  1. "He must have known he was in trouble."

    That made me laugh! Or maybe he'd just gotten a sugar rush from the drink and was feeling extra hyper. Yay for no gestational diabetes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm glad your glucose test went well and the non stress too! I must be a wimp cause I just about passed out during mine (they only do the 3 hr one here). Glad he's growing and things are going "normal" pregnancy-wise! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. He probably started moving because of the glucose drink! I'm glad everything's ok. Those last few weeks are hard but I hope you can get some good sleep.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you passed your glucose test (I've heard that the gestational diabetes diet is pretty hardcore). Sorry you had to take it twice. And I'm glad that you were able to get that little guy kicking. I liked doing the non-stress tests with the twinners. It was fun to hear their heartbeats and hiccups.

    ReplyDelete

Show me some love!