Monday, March 30, 2009

Farewell to 80 Cents and Frothy Goodness


Goodbye 80 cents.

Goodbye hot chocolate.

I wanted you this morning, you know.
You popped into my head and I could not let you go.
I imagined your frothy goodness on my tounge, warming me from the inside out.
And I wanted you.



I found a dollar bill in my wallet, and I knew I could have you.
How excited I was!
A little cup of joy to brighten a cold, snowy Monday morning at work.
You were just a short walk away.


I sped down the stairs and through the door to where I knew they kept you.
I placed by dollar in the Maxwell House vending machine,
And selected you: "whipped hot chocolate" "large."
My change was dispensed,
The machine purred to life....


Swirling and twirling inside-
Dispensing hot, frothy goodness.
The smell of delicious, creamy melted chocolate filled me.
My mouth watered.
Oh how I longed for you.


I peered through the small door that separated you and me, me and you-
"NO!" I shouted.
"It can't be!" I exclaimed.


And I watched,
helplessly,
hopelessly
As your last drops trickled

D
o
w
n
Into
-not a cup-
But the dark, abyss of the drain.
Goodbye 80 cents.
Goodbye hot chocolate.
I will never forget what could have been...








No comments:

Post a Comment

Show me some love!