Sunday, September 25, 2011

New Orleans

For my work I had the opportunity to attend a conference in July in New Orleans (can you say sweat fest?).  I was really excited to go as I've  never been to Louisiana before.  I was also fortunate that Remy was able to come with me.  Now Remy's traveled around the west coast a fair amount, but he hadn't been east of Denver before.  And he had only been on an airplane once to California I think.  So this was a big trip!

We had a really great time.  I was a little nervous for Remy having to explore the city on his own since I would be in the conference most of the day.  I wasn't sure how much he'd enjoy it.  Turns out, he loved it and he did an awesome job exploring.  Luckily our hotel was right on the Mississippi just a short walk to the French Quarter as well as right by the streetcar stations.  We had some AMAZING food, I want to go back just to try more restaurants.

 This was the view from our hotel window.  Nice right?

 I loved sitting in the chair watching the boats go by.

 They had this ferry that just went back and forth across the river between New Orleans and Old Algiers.  It was nice because the dock was right by our hotel and it's a free service.  Basically it's a commuter ferry and people drive their cars on it so they can go across.  I was just happy it was free.  :)  I wasn't about to be right next to the Mississippi and not ride a boat on the river!




















 While we were wandering around the French Quarter on the first day, we were trying to figure out where to eat.  We ran across a local guy...well, more like he ran across us.  He pulled out a map and gave us a bunch of suggestions on places to eat and things for Remy to see while I was gone during the day (of course we had to tip him...but it was actually worth the few bucks).  He recommended this place, Coop's Place.  He said the jambalaya would make "you want to go home and slap your mama."

Really.  He said that.

It was pretty delicious.  We got a real Southern meal with fried chicken and everything.  I loved it anyway.



 This is Bourbon St.  It got a little CRAZY at night!




 Here is a mix of my two favorite things I ate down there, beignets and bananas foster...yum!  These were beignet fries...so good!




I LOVED it there!  Even though it was SO STINKING HOT!  Seriously.  The nice thing though, is that you didn't have to be embarrassed when you had sweat spots all over...'cause everyone else did too! :)

3 comments:

  1. Cool pictures! I love the architecture there! Looks like a fun trip.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love all of the fun trips! Someday I think I need to take a spur of the moment trip to Disneyland too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the view from your hotel. I need to visit the big easy someday.

    ReplyDelete

Show me some love!