Thursday, December 9, 2010

Mmmmm....Pie....

So I don't think I've mentioned this here, but in August I got a new job. I had been working at the University of Utah Human Resources as an HR Rep.  And I really did like my job, but the time had come to move up and out.  So right before I left for China this summer (which I also don't think I've mentioned here) I sort of applied for a job on a whim.  Long story short I ended up getting it.  YAY!  Which I feel like I owe to all the people in HR who gave their recommendation of me to the hiring department.  So as of August 2nd I'm the new Staffing Coordinator at the Housing & Residential Education department at the U.  For those of you who may not know, they run the student dorms. 

Right before I started the department had put together brand new committees which would be headed by members of the Leadership Team (which I'm part of).  So I'm the chair of the Training & Morale committee (which I'm SOOO glad that's the one I got!).  Anyhow, for November we had a Tastiest Pie contest the week of Thanksgiving.  It was DELICIOUS!  And I got lots of great feedback, which made me feel good.  We had really good entries too...some were so fancy like the raspberry ribbon with homemade crust and someone who made a s'mores type pie with homemade marshmellow on top....HELLO!  We had a panel of judges with score cards and they tasted and rated each pie on things like presentation, crust, taste, level of difficulty, etc.  It was actually hilarious to watch them because they had their little plates and glasses of water and it was dead silent in the room they were sitting.  They took their jobs very seriously.  :)   Then we let people vote on their favorites and awarded a crowd favorite.

You want to know the hardest part of the whole thing was picking the prizes.  Seriously, I have a love/hate relationship with that.  All I wanted was a sliver pie scoop.  Is that so hard?  Apparently yes is the answer to that question.  I'll spare you the details on how many freaking stores Remy and I went to looking for one.  In the end I had to concede to a black handled one which I blinged out with some awesome stick on rhinestones.

Here's the pics...you KNOW you wish you could have been there!



P.S.  My pie is the ugly one right on the end here, with the whip cream swirl thingy.  Yeah, it got the least amount of points on appearance.  :)  But was a crowd favorite!



Do you have any other great office party/morale/fun/cheap things to do?  I'd love to hear some ideas!  We did a coloring contest for Halloween which was a huge hit thanks to my SIL Kim for the idea!  Then we had a potluck in December and we want to do a chilli cook off around the Super Bowl.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show me some love!