Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Let's Get Organized!

So I just ran across this blog http://www.orgjunkie.com/.  WOW!  So full of ideas!  Go to the 52 Weeks tab and take a look.  She has a printout you can use to make a list of 52 thing in your house/life you want to get organized.  Then each week she has some tips she shares.  I've learned so much and now I'm SO motivated!  This was perfect for me because there were already some areas I KNEW I wanted to start working on, but I was totally overwhelmed.  Breaking it down is so much easier.  That's one thing I think is important -making a big project into smaller pieces.  For example, I want to organize the bathroom vanity.  Well, there are so many parts to that...think about it and break them out into smaller projects.  Under the sink, each drawer, the counter top.  Start with one area and go from there.  I mean I also want to reorganize the linen closet.  Sounds easy enough, but when I think about it what I really want is to make sure that the towels are organized, the sheets, the cleaning supplies, etc.  I'm not just organizing a closet, I'm organizing each part of the closet.  EPIPHANY!

So I'm starting on my list.  So far I have 19 things, which I know some of them I could break out a little.  So wish me luck!  I'm starting as soon as I can!  If you are wanting to become more organized, you should definitely check out this blog.  I've gathered some good information already that's going to help me.  I think I'm going to type of some of her take-away messages and put them somewhere I can see them to help keep me on track and keep things in perspective. 

My biggest focus is going to be PURGING!  I have so much STUFF!  Where did it all come from?  Why in heaven's name do I still have it?  And why after not even remembering it existed for 2 years, do I suddenly NEED it again and can't bear to part with it because I dug it out of a random box?  HELLO, I DON'T need it, that's the problem!

"JUST BECAUSE YOU HAVE THE SPACE FOR SOMETHING DOESN'T MEAN YOU HAVE TO FILL IT!"

I recently got rid of a TON of clothes, which actually made me feel pretty good.  This Orgjunkie lady also has some great questions and tips when it comes to purging objects and clothes.  The best one I think is "what's the worst thing that's going to happen if I get rid of this item?"  Seriously unless you're throwing away your grandma's oxygen tank or all your tax papers for the upcoming tax season, the answer is probably...nothing.  The worst thing that can happen is that you're glad you got rid of it!!!

So go forth....and organize yourselves!

1 comment:

  1. Love that site already!! I started cleaning out my bedroom closet yesterday. It feels so good to get rid of stuff that you THINK you need, but never use.

    ReplyDelete

Show me some love!