Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Day 16ish & My New Love


So today is weigh in day. Meh. Last week was really bad for me. I was sick, yadda, yadda and basically I gained back a pound or two, but then lost those. So the point is today I'm at the same weight I was at last week's weigh in. Which I guess is the second best scenario.


But, what I really wanted to tell you was about my new love. Greek yogurt. With honey and fruit. OMG it's so good! I was really apprehensive about trying it. I didn't know a thing about it and I just figured it would taste weird. Well my friends, it doesn't taste weird and I think you should all do yourself a favor and go out and try some. And don't be afraid of the honey. I read that in Greece they actually eat yogurt, honey and nuts as dessert. THAT'S how good it is!


So what is the difference you ask? Well, it's thicker. I was reading online and I guess the milk goes through an extra straining process to take out water and whey which makes it thicker. It doesn't have that yogurt-y bite to it either. So far I've tried 3 brands. I'll get you the names, but the only one I can remember off the top of my head is Brown Cow. Delish. I've had strawberry, blueberry, vanilla and honey. Honey and strawberry are my favorite. Vanilla wasn't all that good, just tasted a little plain. But the honey, oh the honey. It just added that little bit of sweetness that was perfect. And because it's thicker I think that's what makes it okay. You know how regular yogurt is a bit runny? Yeah, not this.


Be careful because it does have a lot more calories. You can get the 0% fat which is what I have and the honey flavor had about 120 calories I think. The other flavors had more. But I feel so good eating it. The ingredients were milk, honey and a few live cultures. That's it. No artificial sweeteners, stuff I can't pronounce. Just that good natural goodness. :) Oh and did I mention it has about 15 grams of protien? No joke. So with this Game On diet regular yogurt counts as a carb. But this Greek stuff, it counts as a protein!


Another thing I wanted to say is to make friends with your local health foods store. Don't be afraid of it. Don't assume it's over priced. And don't think you have to be a hippy or go backpacking and/or live in a tent to fit in there. Trust me. I thought all of those things. I have this store by my house called Sunflower Market and it is awesome! They have some really great deals on produce and stuff. You don't have to buy everything there, I mean yeah, a lot of it is really expensive. But they have tons of bulk stuff and again, good deals on produce. While you're at your local health food place, make friends with the agave nectar (I mentioned it in a previous post). It's like honey, but not quite as sweet. That's the best way I can describe it. And it's all natural so it's good for you as far as sugar goes :) They have big tubs of it that you can dispense out into little containers. Really, you should go try it. Put it on your oatmeal, or bread, or your Greek yogurt. :) Remy even likes it. So if he likes it then you'll like it.


So here's our mornig snack for this week:


Greek yogurt (I think the cups are about 4 oz) -protien

Strawberries -carb

Blackberries -carb

Carrots (I bought little individually packaged bags. Hey, for us it's worth the convenience) -serving of veggies

Celery sticks with peanut butter -serving of veggies & healthy fat


Try the Greek yogurt and tell me what you think!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Show me some love!